Monday, February 2, 2015

Friends Don't Let Friends be Constipated

I don't know about you but I have a love/hate relationship with pain pills.  Yes they help me sleep and take away pain temporarily but they can really slow down the digestive system.  Constipation can be a serious problem.  As all hydrocephalics know, we shouldn't be struggling to push because it can increase intracranial pressure.

When a friend of mine needed a shunt revision this past summer I did what any good friend would do.  I gave her laxatives in the care package I made for her because friends don't let friends be constipated.  After all we need both the brain and digestive tract flowing freely.

In October of 2014, I had another revision after having two revisions over the summer.  A couple of weeks after that surgery I started feeling intense pain right below my ribs.  My primary care physician determined that I had an impacted colon from all the pain pills I had been on.  He instructed me to stop the pain pills (which I was SO not ready for) and try over the counter products to release the blockage.  He also wanted me to increase fluids and exercise.  That is easier said than done after three brain surgeries in four months. 

Luckily the blockage did release after a couple more weeks of horrific pain.  I wanted to take pain pills so badly but that is what got me into that mess in the first place.  So I increased fiber, water, and started walking around the neighborhood while dealing with the pain of having a huge incision on my head.  The most amazing thing about this all this was that I had my friend calling me often, checking to see if I was staying on top of the laxatives.  Why you ask?  Because friends don't let friends be constipated!

If you have an impending surgery I strongly suggest increasing fiber, water, take laxatives, and walk as much as possible.  You don't want an impacted colon or ruptured intestine.  Also make sure you have a friend that loves you enough to help with your digestive health.

No comments:

Post a Comment